Herringbone, Chevron, ZigZag call it what you want. That fabulous signature pattern of Missoni Home (and even Charlie Browns shirt) is back in a big way. I have always been obsessed with herringbone wood floors for the extra dynamic and luxury touch it can give a room of any style. Herringbone has been used in fabric for ages as a classic mens suit and womens skirt fabric. Pair a grey herringbone with a rich tawny leather and you have a chic style that will fit right in to the Sunday racetrack crowd. The great thing about this fabulous pattern is that you can make many moods with it depending on how much contrast you express the pattern with. For permanent applications such as flooring, backsplashes and millwork details its best to keep the pattern in a one color application where the cut lines, wood grain or grout lines are what forms the pattern. When it comes to accessories go bold and demand contrast between each row of stripes- play with color, tones, varying stripe thicknesses, scale etc to add more texture and visual interest to a room. This look can go from bold and exciting colors in a child’s bedroom to soft and subdued tones for a neutral palette living room. The herringbone pattern is a beloved favorite of the Interior Design profession, use it with creativity!
Here is what I am showing in the Grey color scheme above :
- White marble tile: Ann Sacks Carrara marble tile small herringbone 10 1/8″ x 11″ netted sheet AS2393-10 This beautiful stone would love great as a floor pattern insert, backsplash, washroom floor or wall tile or if you want to do something different you could use it as a bedside table top, a fine for a barrel ceiling or a craft project for trivets, coasters, high end and chic DIY planters etc.
- I found this space on Apartment Therapy. This beautiful bedroom could have been ultra drab and boring had it not been for this stunning paint job with a loud and vibrant edge from Farrow and Ball paint in London Clay 244, Railings 31, Hardwick White 5, Mahogany 36 and over Shaded White 201
- Pillow: Madeline Weinrib Steel ZigZag. You can find zigzag pillows everywhere these days, this one has a great shade of grey and could be mixed up with any color, texture or pattern in any room.
- Mug: Mikasa Grey/Platinum zigzag mug set of 4 for $39.99. These mugs are gorgeous and crisp. I can see them with a pastel or white dainty dinnerware set with silver flatware great for an inspiring shot of coffee in the morning solo or to accompany a great dessert at a dinner party…. can you see it with some bold silver charger plates?!
- Stainless Steel Mosaic Tile: You can find these masculine and slick backplash tiles at almost any tile store these days for anywhere from $15-$25/sq.ft. I recommend getting them in a brushed stainless finish to reduce fingerprints and cleaning marks. Great for smaller scale areas like backsplashes, bathroom wall details etc. I woul avoid doing full walls or floors with this as it can be a bit much in larger quantities.
- This is a photo of Canadian Interior Designer Emily Walker who works for Canadian House and Home. This is her beautiful and simple kitchen. Her use of the Zigzag pattern is ideal as it shows up in one location and pulls the colors from the room to ground the floor and add texture and pattern to the space.
- Fur area rug: Kyle Bunting Basketweave pattern in charcoal color. Im a sucker for anythign in hide and Kyle Bunting is a kind of his domain, his hide art rugs are each so stunning and add volumes of interest, class and value to a space. Need I say more?
- Area Rug: Madeline Weinrib Steel ZigZag. Get a rug just like Emily Walkers to spice up your boot room or kitchen!
Here is a completely different look. Masculine, dark, rich and crisp.
- Dark Rough hardwood: LV Wood Floors Antique Oak Herringbone. This is a fabulous floor that I would LOVE to personally use in my whole home, the richness of colors, texture and grain are all fascinating, historic and beautiful. I could easily see this product for retail flooring in a mens store.
- Dress: Principles black and White Zig Zag Dress cute, fun and graphic this dress could spice up any cocktail hour.
- Wood and Stianless Steel mosaic tile: Mosaico+ DL.0364 Misura op. 3 in Canada you can get this Luxe tile from Julian Tile
- Black Marble mosaic tile: Ann Sacks Herringbone Obsidian. This is a gorgeous mosaic great for any wall space or floor detail.
- Pouf: Missoni Home in black and white. great as extra seating for company and to add fun pops of color or tecture to any room. All kids love Poufs!
- Black leather floor: source unknow but this is one sexy product! Come out reps wherever you are.
- Ottoman: Madeline Weinrib Mid Century ottoman